The mission of the Surfrider Foundation Europe on the preservation of the ocean and the coastline, with education, awareness-raising actions, information, research, the fight against pollution, the fight against the artificialisation of the coastline in particular through urbanization, the local action, the organization of rallies and demonstrations, the manufacture and sale of products bearing the effigy of the association.
The movement was born in 1984 in Malibu, California, where surfers wanted to protect their spot of local pollution. Surfrider Foundation Europe was created in 1990 in Europe, in Biarritz, on the initiative of surfers, including Tom Curren, triple world champion.
Today Surfrider is a global network of regional associations and local chapters, present on all continents: Surfrider Foundation Europe, USA, Japan, Brazil, Australia and Argentina (+ Canada, Mexico, Morocco)
It now includes people from all walks of life, having in common the passion for the ocean and the concern to protect the coastline. Each of the affiliates to the network, the Surfrider Foundation has its own antennas on the continent and remains fully responsible for its activity. Around the world, Surfrider Foundation brings together more than 7,000 active volunteers, 70 000 members and 400,000 supporters. This network allows for the sharing of know-how and brings a ability to federate globally.
Surfrider Foundation Europe is an organisation recognised
• Accreditation of Education Popular
• Accreditation of the Ministry of the Environment
• Certification of the Ministry of Justice
• Registered as a Training Provider
• Surfrider headquarters in particular : economic and social Council of the United Nations, the Council of Ngos to UNESCO, the United Nations Program for the environment, Representing interests before the Commission and the European Parliament, the National Council of the Sea and of the Coastline, Council Economic Social and Environmental (ceser de PACA and Aquitaine.
Its objectives :
To protect the environment, the health and the users of research, field actions and legal, lobbying :
To evolve our behaviors through the Surfrider Campus : to raise Awareness, educate and mobilize
o Creation and provision of educational tools, interventions in schools, sports clubs...
o Animation and organization of events : stands, exhibitions, Ocean Initiatives..
A few figures
• 5 professional offices : the european Headquarters in Biarritz, coordination méditerranée, Marseille, coordination of aquitaine, Bordeaux offices and Lobbying in Brussels and Paris, San Sebastian
• 44 permanent employees
• 120 000 supporters
• 12 000 members
• 1 200 active volunteers
• 31 local branches
• Activities in 9 countries in Europe and in the DOM-TOM
Bixente Lizarazu, Tony Estanguet, Aritz Aranburu, Vincent Cassel, Laury Thilleman, Tom Frager, Mathieu Crépel, Kristin Boese, Guillaume Néry,...
Thousands of users already trust Prizle
YOU ALSO CHOOSE A CAUSE TO DEFEND.Support Surfrider Foundation Europe